Wednesday 10 December 2014

Work in Progress

I really should be a deft hand at this blogging business, as I had a blog many many years ago... It could be a decade ago... I only wish I had kept it up, but it was not meant to be.  It's taken me over an hour to remember what to do!  It's still not perfect, it will take me ages to get it right, but that's me, a perfectionist!

Since then life has changed in oh so many ways (My independence has vanished in the haze?  No, I've still got that, thanks John!).  I have two degrees, a BA in Fine Art and a MA in that too!  Art and painting are never too far from me (I'm surrounded by my own canvases at home on the walls) but for now the paint brush has been laid down (soon to be picked up again and chewed at the end like the pencil always is).  Instead, my new office is wherever my camera is (actually that's wrong, as my camera(s) right now are on the desk under the stairs & I really can't fit under there!).  But when the camera is out,  I'm out too (or is that the other way round?).  I've taken up wildlife/nature photography with an obsessive manic passion - although I have been like this for some time now - but this time it's to fuel my other found love (and obsessive manic passion) to create original photography jewellery and accessories out of my own images.

It all started with a robin called Larry.  I knew him from fledgling to adult and tracked his life with my camera for two years, I have around ten thousand pictures of Larry in my archive... Unfortunately he disappeared in June 2012 - Read his story here - and I wanted to create a memento of him using one of my many images and as I love jewellery and especially necklaces, I had a light bulb moment (when they happen don't ever switch them off!) and decided to make a square wooden pendant using a scrabble tile (having researched photo jewellery online) and one night after many many attempts trying to shrink one of my photographs down of him over many many weeks of researching online, how to protect the image, how to attach a bail, what best chain to use, I finally created my first ever Larry pendant - sadly I can't post it on here, as it fell apart - wrong glue!  But then I never expected it to be perfect first time round.  This was in September 2012 and now I'm here with my Etsy shop of Larryware over two years later and what two years it's been - hard work mostly, but enjoyable work and without sounding too over confident, it's beginning to pick up and so that's why I need a blog, to chart my past, my present and my future... But Larry will always be part of it, however long it's been without him and will continue to be without him... I'll always talk about him, create items inspired by him, share his photograph, share the times we had together and after every blog post with or without photographs, links, rambling rubbish (!) I'll share a picture of him too.

Like this one:


2 comments:

  1. Love your blog. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue, I didn't realise you blogged... well, 'had' blogged - I had lapsed too, but have decided to get with it again, plus another place to share pictures of Larry :) x

      Delete